Blog Journal #2

     To be honest, before starting this class, my practical experience with Microsoft Applications was limited. In the tenth grade I had taken the certification tests for PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, however I did not really use any of them in everyday life. If there was an essay to write for a class, a slideshow to make, etc., I simply utilized Google Slides and Google Docs. I found it easier to do group projects with others on those platforms, mainly because of the ability to share the documents with others and their user-friendly comment feature. Additionally, the fact that everything automatically saved and uplinked to my school provided account's cloud, meant that I could finally stop using flash drives and quit having stress moments about whether or not I remembered to save the latest changes. In a sense, Microsoft applications just felt outdated. They were not easily synced to my school email, or as accessible to my teachers either. In the end, convenience over a specific set of preferences determined that I have yet to truly become adept and comfortable using Microsoft Word. In this upcoming assignment for EME2040, I hope to really grow in my knowledge and confidence with its features and operating system.

    The ISTE Standard that stood out the most to me as a future teacher was 2.6 Facilitator. This standard outlines the importance of allowing students to use their creativity and critical thinking skills to utilize technology tools as they engage in learning and share their ideas with others. As a student I found having assignments that gave me the opportunity to use cool tools or visuals were ones that I had a very easy time getting into. I would use different fonts, colors, and designs to put my thoughts and reflections onto something that could efficiently and effortlessly share what I had created with peers and my teacher. These kinds of assignments helped me to take ownership of my learning and really become engaged in that process. In my future teaching, I hope to give my kids the same chance to express themselves, problem solve, and collaborate with their classmates on a regular basis. This standard will be to me, a great guideline for myself as I outline curriculum and plan lessons in the years to come.

    Up until this class, the term, 'digital native", had eluded me. Although I recognized the distinct gaps between generations' presence of technology into the culture, I never had any specific definition or terminology to make sense of my observations. I certainly agree with the fact, as discussed in class, that anyone of any age can learn about technology or not learn about technology. In other words, that one's personal opportunities, home-life, interests, and schooling are what play a role in their willingness and competency regarding technology. However, I will say that it could be a more fair assumption to say that children born into the 80s and 90s had a far less involved relationship with screens and devices than say a child being raised in the U.S. in the past five years. Additionally, that the role that technology and screens play into everyday culture within the U.S. has also gradually shifted from its role in earlier decades. So, yes, in a sense, I believe that the term digital native holds some truth. However, I believe that anyone, with willingness and the right opportunities, can become fully adept at utilizing technology and honing those skills employed when engaging with that technology.



"Inside My Classroom" by knittymarie is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
















Comments

  1. Really enjoyed this read! Concise while still getting a vivid point across. Hadn't thought of the group aspect of Docs in my thoughts on it, but it is a massive factor in its popularity- probably a dominant one. I also appreciate your note on digital natives not being a generationally bound term, but a term linked to the effort one puts into their education- I know kids who cannot CC people on an email. It just doesn't come easy for some people. Looking forward to future reads on here! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment